The Old School are looking for Volunteer Classroom Helpers, specifically working with French speaking children aged 4 to 11 in a primary school environment, close to Miramont de Guyenne 47800.
The emphasis of this new, exciting and dynamic cross cultural project is to develop children's English language skills and confidence, through structured fun lessons, sports, art & crafts, music and drama activities.
Wednesdays 9am to 1pm or 12.30 to 4.30, term time from Wednesday 5th September 2018 to Wednesday 4th July 2019.
Ideally, volunteers will be; fluent English speakers, experience working with children an advantage but not essential, offering commitment, energy, fun and enthusiasm to young learners. The role involves supporting the teacher and the pupils, being directed by the teacher in relation to pre arranged activities, preparing the room and clearing away after activities, tasks such as listening to pupils read, sounding letters, repeating words and lettering to pupils, reading with those who have a higher level of language.
As a volunteer classroom helper, you can provide invaluable support and enrichment to students who are learning to speak and write by:
- helping the children to achieve accurate pronunciation of English, individual or small group attention
- engaging children in enjoyable experiences with literature — writing, reading and listening
- helping children feel successful by giving positive feedback and support
- helping with class work in ways that extend children's understanding and interest
- modelling through your own actions that speaking, reading and writing are pleasurable and valuable activities
- extending or supporting the literacy learning that happens within the classroom.
You may want to meet new people, contribute to the community, learn new skills, use existing skills or find a way to gain experience that may lead to a job opportunity.
We appreciate that volunteers may need flexibility and therefore we would consider volunteers who can offer their time over a set number of weeks per term, even if you cannot commit to a whole term. This is a rewarding opportunity for anyone missing teaching, sharing fun based activities with enthusiastic learners.
Interviews will take place on Monday 18th June at The Old School, St Colomb de Lauzun
Team training Monday 25th June at The Old School, St Colomb de Lauzun
Please email your interest, CV and any past experience to firstname.lastname@example.org